Experience, Ability, Integrity, Fairness
Standing for election to Judge in San Mateo County, building on a 30-year career of extensive litigation practice for a highly-rated defense law firm and two major public entities — the Judicial Council of California/Administrative Office of the Courts (JCC/AOC) and Regents of the University of California (UC). In private practice, litigated and tried cases throughout Northern California, including San Mateo County. At the JCC/AOC and UC, oversaw claims and lawsuits of various types against the entities, their officials and employees in state and federal courts and monitored work of panel law firms and attorneys. In these roles, attended countless proceedings in courtrooms around the state, monitored trials, and sought appropriate resolution through settlement conferences and mediation. Individual attorney rating for many years of AV – preeminent, highest possible rating for both legal ability and ethical standards (Martindale-Hubbell). Resident of San Mateo County since 1984.
Candidate for Judge, San Mateo County Superior Court February 2018 – Present
Senior Counsel, Litigation at University of California (12 years 3 months)
• System wide oversight of large inventory of medical and hospital professional liability claims and lawsuits arising from the University’s 10-campus system (fourth largest health care delivery system in California and the largest health sciences training program in the U.S.), working closely with claims and risk management staff and overseeing outside counsel.
• Primary attorney for assessment and disposition of cases, obtaining settlement authorization pursuant to Regents’ delegation and approval, preparing reports for The Regents and OGC management regarding settlements and costs, and ensuring proper licensing board and NPDB reporting.
• Key partner with Office of the President Risk Services and campus risk management to implement quality and safety improvements and corrective actions to reduce risk.
Litigation Management Attorney, JCC/AOC (4 years 3 months)
• Legal staff implementing policies and programs of the Judicial Council, the policy and rule-making body of the California court system.
• Oversight of claims and lawsuits against the courts and their employees under a new, centralized management program established by the Judicial Council, including general, premises, employment practices, ADA access, civil rights, and judicial and executive officer liability.
• Appointed as program attorney overseeing claims and lawsuits for the largest court system, Los Angeles County, and additional counties.
Attorney, Litigation Partner at Hassard Bonnington LLP July (15 years 7 months)
• Litigation partner of prominent health care and malpractice defense firm, managing caseload and representing clients in trial, arbitration, mediation, court hearings and conferences. Extensive negotiation experience.
• Skilled at building rapport with clients, other counsel, mediators and judges, resulting in consistently positive results.
• Practice included physician representation in Medical Board investigations and proceedings.
Regional Manager, Claims Services – Northern California at Cooperative of American Physicians, Inc. (2 years)
Manager of Northern California Regional Office of Los Angeles based malpractice insurer, handling personal caseload and supervising staff on claims and litigation, and office services, preceded by position as claims representative in L.A. office.
University of Minnesota Law School
Arizona State University – W. P. Carey School of Business B.S., Economics